Thursday, January 10, 2008

Review - Crysis

The guys at Crytek have created a game which is more a tease than my last girlfriend. In one swoop they've made a game that drew me in with fabulous shiny graphics and netted me with promises of a wicked (yea I said wicked so what?) fighting system, and once the trap was sprung I was tranquilized with moderate gameplay and a ho-hum story. After a 48 month development cycle which is computer terms is eons and in human terms is just way too fucking long; Crysis was released upon the waves of eager nerds. What everyone first saw were screen shots of something bordering god like. I could honestly look at the game all day with it's lush visuals and admit I rubbed one or two out to it if it were socially acceptable. The level of detail would astound Stevie Wonder if he had the ridiculous amount of hardware required to run the game at a moderate framerate.
However while creating the equivalent of graphical ecstasy, Crytek forgot to make the gameplay match the epic scenes you'll witness in the game. The gameplay depicted in the commercials depicted you punching a jeep and stopping it dead it it's track and just kicking a large amount of ass. The game however falls short and leaves you with suit powers that look neat.
The standard FPS gameplay is accompanied by good A.I (see screaming Koreans) and a ho-hum story and forgettable NPCs. It's your standard aliens on earth/evil guy harnessing alien technology/evil aliens kicking ass story. Been there done that. Once the Aliens come out the gameplay picks up and I found the action intense. Sadly this is the last hour or two of the game with an ending that leaves much to be desired (I was literally laughing at the last boss).
All in all the game is fun, a graphical whore but fun. Don't expe
ct revolutionary gameplay or action, or even a decent story. Just Grab a box of kleenex and watch the beautiful visuals dance across the screen of your overheating computer.

No comments: